Food Breaks the Bank


 FOOD BREAKS THE BANK

By: Paige Stanley


Living at college, and especially being a commuter, always on the run, is hard, and sometimes I find myself taking the easy way out. Whether that is a quick bite to eat from Sheetz, a Starbucks run that ends up being $15, or just “getting something small at Chick-fil-A.” I will be open and honest here for a second; just in the month of September, from buying food on campus or on the way to/back from campus, I spent $241.14. When I totaled this up, I was so disappointed in myself. I have taken the easy way too many times and cost myself a fifth of a three-credit class in one month. So to work on my savings, I wanted to bring attention to the spending I have made and what I can change so you can learn from my mistakes with me.


The biggest issue I see is when I have a gap in my classes, I find myself bored and hungry and resort to Chick-fil-A. Somedays, do not get me wrong, I need lunch and haven't had anything to eat come 3 pm due to being so busy. However, I can save so much money by packing a peanut butter sandwich and an apple that costs me about maybe $1 when divided over several days rather than $13. 


I can use my time at the grocery store to make smart decisions, food, and finance-wise. A month's worth of meals and drinks out could buy me more than enough food in the grocery store for a month. Using apps such as TargetCircle and saving money or getting a certain percentage off is one of the main ways I save money for grocery shopping.


I compiled a list of other great ways to save money from not spending money on getting food out:


-Make coffee/drinks at home. One of my guilty pleasures is a cranberry limeade from Sonic; they are SO good. However, they do get to be pricey. I have saved money by making my own at home with a can of sprite and a bit of cranberry juice that cost about $10 to make 12 drinks instead of $5 for one drink. 

-Drink water. Not only is water better for you than all of the sodas, coffees, and strawberry acai refreshers. But water, in most places, is free. An entire case of water runs you about $5 when one drink at Starbucks, as we know, can be well over $5. 

-Find free food. Okay, I know that sounds weird, and I don’t mean go dumpster diving behind Subway or something at midnight. Go to events, go to the CUB, join a club, and so on. I was in the CUB a few weeks ago, and they were offering slices of pizza, and I did not have to buy lunch that day! I also saw a guy get an entire free pizza; he was eating free for days!

-BUY GENERIC! I guarantee that buying generic food brands over name brands, for most items, is so much cheaper; truly, many foods do not taste that different. Kinds of pasta, rice, chips, and even yogurts have little to no change in ingredients when going from name-brand to generic. You also might find a new favorite- I know, personally, Target has some really good generic chips and other healthy snack bars. 

-Make leftovers good. Sometimes leftovers look nasty or do not sound appealing. Make the most of leftovers into tacos or a sandwich, give the food a new meaning and flavor, and enjoy!

-The possibilities are truly endless and by packing lunch and waiting until you get home to eat makes a world of difference!


Comments