Throwback Thursday: A Mix Compiled from the Archives of Madison’s Brain


    I was recently reminded of Just Dance (remember when that was huge?) and was reminiscing on early 2010s music along with anything middle school Madison listened to really. This was an interesting rabbit hole of discovery as I realized I didn’t have Spotify back then and used YouTube as my platform for listening to and finding music. Remember when music videos were more of a big deal? Due to me being a Middle Level Ed major, I’ve noticed that middle schoolers are listening to a much different range of music today that is heavily influenced by TikTok. When I was in middle school, it was whatever I could find on YouTube or what played on the bus radio. Anyways, I dug deep on YouTube, starting with Just Dance songs and spiraling from there. The following is a list of songs or albums that hold a weird, almost cringy sense of nostalgia. This week is not so much a song “recommendation” post (although still feel free to check them out), but rather a fun walk down memory lane. Enjoy my random commentary and comment below what you listened to during middle school.

  • THE ENTIRE VESSEL ALBUM BY TWENTY ONE PILOTS (Probably the best phase I went through)
  • American Girl by Bonnie McKee (who let her get away with this?)
  • Shower by Becky G
  • Say Something by A Great Big World (spent many nights before bed crying to this song for literally no reason)
  • The Fox by Ylvis
  • Cups by Anna Kendrick (took me forever to learn the routine but I was so obsessed)
  • Safe and Sound by Capital Cities (they played it at one of our school assemblies and 12 year old me was mesmerized)
  • Wake Me Up by Avicii (RIP his soul)
  • Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen
  • Radioactive by Imagine Dragons (everyone in the world was obsessed, I get a pass)
  • Mirrors by Justin Timberlake (went through a brief JT phase because my 7th grade crush went to his concert)
  • The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez (when she broke the internet and everyone hated Justin Bieber)
  • Notice Me by Alli Simpson (the OG pick me girl song)

*anything by Austin Mahone and the EDM scene circa 2013 

Comments